JACKSON, Miss. (AP) – An adult entertainer was sentenced in Mississippi Friday to seven years in prison for helping set up an illegal silicone buttocks injection that killed an Atlanta woman.
Natasha Stewart, 40, was convicted of manslaughter in the 2012 death of 37-year-old Karima Gordon. Stewart, who goes by the professional name of Pebbelz Da Model, took $200 to refer Gordon to the injector and falsely claimed the person was a nurse.
Mississippi Judge Bill Gowan sentenced Stewart of suburban Memphis, Tenn., to seven years in prison and eight years of suspended time for manslaughter. He ordered her to serve five years at the same time for conspiracy to commit culpable negligence manslaughter.
Stewart says she regrets Gordon’s death and was “blinded by this substance called silicone” and her quest for “outer beauty.”
Stewart pleaded for mercy in the sentencing.
“My heart and deepest condolences go out to Karima Gordon and her family and friends,” Stewart said as she fought back tears. “I’m so deeply sorry. All I ever wanted to do was help Karima.”
Stewart testified during her trial that Gordon was insecure about her body and wanted help fixing previously botched buttocks enhancements. Stewart said she connected Gordon with the woman performing the injections to help her out, not for money. But she said Gordon insisted on paying her.
Gordon died from silicone embolism in her lungs about a week after getting the shots in March 2012.
Stewart testified that she believed the woman performing the injections at a Jackson, Miss., house was indeed a registered nurse. Stewart had been charged with “depraved-heart” murder, but the jury convicted on a lesser charge of culpable negligent manslaughter.
Tracey Lynn Garner, the one suspected of administering the injections, is charged with depraved-heart murder in the deaths of Gordon and another woman, Marilyn Hale of Selma, Ala. She has pleaded not guilty, with her trial scheduled for March.
A friend and a prison minister also pleaded for mercy on Stewart’s behalf, saying she had changed her life during the 13 months she’s been held in the Hinds County jail.
Gordon’s family was unable to travel to the sentencing Friday because of wintry weather in Atlanta, but sent a letter that Gowan read. They wrote that Stewart already had a “life sentence” because of the number of silicone injections she’s received. Stewart testified that she got injections herself more than 20 times over seven years.
Family members wrote that they didn’t want Gowan to “throw the book” at Stewart, but also that she “must pay for the part she has played.”
Stewart could have faced a sentence of 25 years, but Gowan noted she had never been in legal trouble before.
“It appears this is your first encounter with the law,” Gowan said. “Unfortunately, it is a very significant encounter with the law.”
Follow Jeff Amy at
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick