NEW YORK (AP) – Former Mayor Ed Koch has been moved to intensive care for closer monitoring of the fluid in his lungs and legs, his spokesman said Thursday.
Koch’s cardiologist wanted to keep a closer eye on the 88-year-old, who was also showing an iron deficiency, spokesman George Arzt said.
Koch was readmitted to NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia hospital on Monday with shortness of breath. He had been released two days earlier after being treated for water in his lungs and legs. He had initially been admitted on Jan. 19.
His hospitalization follows two other ones in recent months.
In December, he was admitted with a respiratory infection. The former mayor was also hospitalized in September after feeling weak while staying with friends in North Carolina. He was treated for anemia, was released after three days and said he planned to head straight to his office at a law firm.
In 2009, Koch spent five weeks at the hospital, undergoing a quadruple bypass in June and gallbladder surgery in July.
Koch was mayor for three terms, from 1978 through 1989, and is credited with saving the city from near-financial ruin. His trademark question to residents was, “How’m I doing?”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona