BOSTON (AP) – Massachusetts prison officials on Friday said they will appeal a decision that would force them to provide taxpayer-funded sex-reassignment surgery for an inmate serving a life sentence for murder.
The state Department of Correction said it will request a hearing by the full 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in the case of Michelle Kosilek.
Two weeks ago, a three-judge panel of the same court upheld a judge’s decision granting Kosilek’s request for the surgery. The rehearing would be before the full court of six justices.
The appeals court panel said receiving medically necessary treatment is a constitutional right that must be protected “even if that treatment strikes some as odd or unorthodox.”
Michelle Kosilek was born Robert Kosilek and was convicted in the killing of spouse Cheryl Kosilek in 1990.
Kosilek sued, and after a lengthy legal battle, U.S. District Judge Mark Wolf ruled in 2012 that the state Department of Correction must provide the surgery.
Prison officials argued that Kosilek had received adequate treatment for gender identity disorder, including female hormones, laser hair removal and psychotherapy. They also cited security concerns, saying they were concerned about protecting Kosilek from sexual assaults if she is allowed to complete her gender transition.
“While we acknowledge the legitimacy of a gender identity disorder diagnosis, DOC’s appeal is based on the lower court’s significant expansion of the standard for what constitutes adequate care under the Eighth Amendment, and on substantial safety concerns regarding Ms. Kosilek’s post-surgery needs,” the DOC said in a statement Friday.
Kosilek’s attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food