MIAMI (AP) – Experts and volunteers are treating four young pilot whales that beached on Florida’s Atlantic coast.
The juvenile whales were among 22 short-finned pilot whales that beached Saturday at Avalon State Park Beach. The whales were still receiving around the clock care on Tuesday.
Two male and three female whales were brought to Florida Atlantic University’s Harbor Branch Institute after becoming stranded. Officials say one of the males had been stable Monday morning but died unexpectedly around noon.
The other whales, including one calf whose mother did not survive, show signs of inflammation and infection, but they are swimming on their own and accepting a thin fish formula fed through tubes every four hours.
It’s not known what caused Saturday’s stranding. Seventeen whales either died or were euthanized.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night