PHOENIX — Border Patrol officials are searching for an undocumented immigrant who escaped from an agency-contracted bus by climbing out of the roof.
In a release, the Border Patrol said the bus was driving from Ajo to the agency’s station in Casa Grande about 10 p.m. when three immigrants opened a hatch in the bus ceiling and climbed out. The bus was at a stop light at the time.
Two of the escapees were apprehended, but one was still at large, possibly in the Casa Grande area.
The escapee has been identified as Heriberto Castellanos-Uribe.
Castellanos-Uribe, 22, is a Mexican national who has been charged with drug smuggling. Prosecution against him is pending.
The Casa Grande Police Department and Pinal County Sheriff’s Office are also searching for the escapee.
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the escapees is asked to contact the Border Patrol at 520-836-7812.
Casa Grande is just shy of 50 miles from downtown Phoenix.
KTAR’s Jeremy Foster contributed to this report.
- Charges dismissed in shootout at Arizona Border Patrol checkpoint
- Audit: Hiring of customs, border agents better, but still falling short
- US Rep. Andy Biggs says ‘morale is really low’ among border patrol agents
- APNewsBreak: Border Patrol arrests drop sharply in June
- Border Patrol: Smugglers abandoned 57 immigrants in Arizona