(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. OUTRAGE FOLLOWS RUSSIAN PUSH INTO CRIMEA
Kerry calls on Putin to pull back from “an incredible act of aggression.”
2. AND THE OSCAR GOES TO … `12 YEARS A SLAVE’
The historical drama has been hailed as a corrective to the movie industry’s long omission of slavery stories and years of whiter tales like “Gone With the Wind.”
3. A THUMB’S UP FOR ELLEN DEGENERES
The AP’s Frazier Moore says that she did what any Oscar host should do: Stay involved and make sure everyone has fun.
4. WHERE LATEST WINTER STORM IN THE US MIGHT HIT HARDEST
Nearly a foot of snow is expected in parts of New Jersey.
5. INTENSE INTEREST IN PISTORIUS TRIAL
A 24-hour cable TV channel has been launched in South Africa to cover only the court case.
6. WHO’S BEING BLAMED FOR KNIFE SLASHINGS IN CHINA
Authorities say separatists from the country’s far west led the rampage that killed 29 people and wounded 143 in Kunming.
7. NETANYAHU CAN EXPECT A NUDGE
During the Israeli leader’s visit to the White House, Obama is expected to urge him to move forward on peace talks with the Palestinians.
8. WHAT’S TEMPERING SYMPATHY FOR US SOLDIER
Some believe Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl deserted his unit in Afghanistan before he was captured by the Taliban.
9. PROMISE, PERIL OF ULTRA-CONNECTED WORLD
A tech conference in Barcelona offers a future where everything is digitized _ with all the related privacy and security concerns.
10. IDITAROD SLED DOGS OFF AND RUNNING
Standing between the mushers and the finish line are about 1,000 miles of unforgiving Alaska terrain.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates