School is finally over and the heat is beginning to set in for the long haul. It’s time to start planning that Memorial Day weekend getaway.
But what places are worth checking out? Thrillist took the liberty of compiling a list of the 25 best small city destinations in which to spend a weekend, and one Arizona favorite made the list.
Coming in at No. 19, Sedona possesses some of the most beautiful sights in the entire country.
Sedona is known for two things — its stark, majestic beauty and a quirky little arts/mysticism community that often overlaps. There are about 40 mini art galleries lining the main street, and the Sedona Center for the New Age runs a series of tours based around the supposed ‘energy vortex’ that apparently occupies four separate spots in the desert city.
Aside from art galleries, Sedona’s Church of the Holy Cross is considered a must-see. The building was voted in 2007 as one of the seven man-made wonders of Arizona.
Built into the very buttes of the distinctive red rocks, the Roman Catholic church is a true stunner. You don’t even have to believe to soak in the beauty.
Regardless of where in the state or country you might find yourself this weekend, just remember it beats clocking in for another day at work on Memorial Day.
- Phoenix libraries hosting program to learn about solar eclipse
- Express Scripts mail-order pharmacy to limit opioids
- Arizona high court rules domestic violence testimony needs scrutiny
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally
- Mesa police officer dies in off-duty motorcycle accident