Shortly after midnight on Saturday, May 21, an armed subject was mortally wounded at a residence off of Lumberjack Boulevard in the Mountain View Ranchos, an area east of Flagstaff. The subject was identified as 31-year-old Mark Nelson.
An emergency call came in Friday night around 9:50 p.m. by Nelson’s mother. She reported that her son was armed and suicidal behind their home near the garage.
Four Coconino County Sheriff Deputies, four Flagstaff Police Officers and two Arizona Department of Public Safety Troopers established a perimeter around the subject to ensure safety of the surrounding neighborhood.
Law enforcement officers attempted to convince Nelson to surrender his weapon, however the subject drove to the front of the residence and exited his truck with a high-powered rifle.
Nelson put the gun barrel in his mouth, but then took it out and took aim at the officers. Nelson was gunned down by police, and the subject was transported to Flagstaff Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased.
The incident is currently under investigation.
- New lawsuits allege Mormon church failed to protect children
- Construction to fix I-40 winter weather damage near Flagstaff to start
- Arizona Snowbowl to add new restaurant near Sunset chairlift
- DPS: Wrong-way driver killed in wrecks on I-40 in Flagstaff
- Two arrested for 76 pounds of meth, other drugs in Glendale