Shortly after midnight on Saturday, May 21, an armed subject was mortally wounded at a residence off of Lumberjack Boulevard in the Mountain View Ranchos, an area east of Flagstaff. The subject was identified as 31-year-old Mark Nelson.
An emergency call came in Friday night around 9:50 p.m. by Nelson’s mother. She reported that her son was armed and suicidal behind their home near the garage.
Four Coconino County Sheriff Deputies, four Flagstaff Police Officers and two Arizona Department of Public Safety Troopers established a perimeter around the subject to ensure safety of the surrounding neighborhood.
Law enforcement officers attempted to convince Nelson to surrender his weapon, however the subject drove to the front of the residence and exited his truck with a high-powered rifle.
Nelson put the gun barrel in his mouth, but then took it out and took aim at the officers. Nelson was gunned down by police, and the subject was transported to Flagstaff Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased.
The incident is currently under investigation.
- Flagstaff cop who punched woman in video indicted again for assault
- Northern Arizona cities covered in snow after overnight storm
- Snow storm expected to hit northern Arizona this upcoming weekend
- Some students won’t pay more under Arizona university tuition proposals
- Pluto Discovery Telescope in Flagstaff reopens after renovations