(AP) – The London 2012 Olympics kicked off two weeks ago with Queen Elizabeth (actually, a body double) parachuting into a whimsical opening ceremony.
The games gathered speed as U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps collected four gold medals and six overall to become the most decorated Olympian ever, with 22 career medals.
Gabby Douglas, the 16-year-old American gymnast, won two golds _ and got to meet Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, to boot.
In one delirious night, Britain struck gold three times in track and field _ all in less than an hour. The host country piled up 28 golds and will finish third in the total count.
As the games neared the end, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt ran a blistering anchor leg to set a world record in the 4×100 relay for his third gold.
Following Sunday’s men’s basketball final between the U.S. and Spain, The Who will help give the games a rousing sendoff at the closing ceremony.
Here, in pictures, are some of the best moments from the 2012 Summer Games.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain