(AP) – The London 2012 Olympics kicked off two weeks ago with Queen Elizabeth (actually, a body double) parachuting into a whimsical opening ceremony.
The games gathered speed as U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps collected four gold medals and six overall to become the most decorated Olympian ever, with 22 career medals.
Gabby Douglas, the 16-year-old American gymnast, won two golds _ and got to meet Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, to boot.
In one delirious night, Britain struck gold three times in track and field _ all in less than an hour. The host country piled up 28 golds and will finish third in the total count.
As the games neared the end, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt ran a blistering anchor leg to set a world record in the 4×100 relay for his third gold.
Following Sunday’s men’s basketball final between the U.S. and Spain, The Who will help give the games a rousing sendoff at the closing ceremony.
Here, in pictures, are some of the best moments from the 2012 Summer Games.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier