(AP) – The London 2012 Olympics kicked off two weeks ago with Queen Elizabeth (actually, a body double) parachuting into a whimsical opening ceremony.
The games gathered speed as U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps collected four gold medals and six overall to become the most decorated Olympian ever, with 22 career medals.
Gabby Douglas, the 16-year-old American gymnast, won two golds _ and got to meet Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, to boot.
In one delirious night, Britain struck gold three times in track and field _ all in less than an hour. The host country piled up 28 golds and will finish third in the total count.
As the games neared the end, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt ran a blistering anchor leg to set a world record in the 4×100 relay for his third gold.
Following Sunday’s men’s basketball final between the U.S. and Spain, The Who will help give the games a rousing sendoff at the closing ceremony.
Here, in pictures, are some of the best moments from the 2012 Summer Games.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon