PHOENIX — At least one person died in a car accident on a freeway west of Phoenix early Friday morning.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said the multivehicle wreck closed a two-mile stretch of Interstate 10 East at State Route 85 in Buckeye. The crash site area is about 30 miles west of downtown and was closed until almost 10:30 a.m.
Ricardo Vasquez-Vasquez, 24, of Avondale was killed in the three-car crash.
The Arizona Department of Transportation advised commuters heading to the Phoenix area to take SR 85 and then Broadway and Miller roads to get back to the freeway.
Traffic on I-10 East headed past Phoenix can use State Route 85 to get to Interstate 8 to return to I-10 near Casa Grande.
Westbound I-10 remained open.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Scottsdale named among best cities for renters, Glendale among worst
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona-related stories from this past weekend
- Officials investigating three rabies cases in southern Arizona
- Why wasn’t Arizona chosen for Amazon’s second headquarters?
- $75K in civil fines issued for illegal hunting in Arizona last year