RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) – The federal officials probing a 2012 fire at a Northern California Chevron refinery have voted against recommending a tougher, European-style refinery safety system.
The San Jose Mercury News reports (
http://bit.ly/1b6cQzH) that a divided U.S. Chemical Safety Board voted Wednesday against recommending implementation of the so-called “safety case structure,” which forces a company to document how it’s reducing risks.
Those who voted against the safety case recommendation say it’s too complex and would take too long to implement.
The board has 120 days to modify the report.
The investigation stemmed from an Aug. 6, 2012, fire at the Richmond refinery caused by an old, corroded pipe that Chevron failed to properly monitor and replace. More than 15,000 people sought treatment for respiratory and other discomforts after the blaze.
Information from: San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News,
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona