ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) – A U.S. Naval Academy midshipman from Pennsylvania has been killed in a car accident.
The (Allentown) Morning Call reports 21-year-old Austin Tyler Zalik, a junior majoring in ocean engineering, died Friday in Pennsylvania’s Berks County.
Authorities say Zalik, of Allentown, Pa., had been sleeping in his pickup truck in the parking lot of a gas station before the accident at 7 a.m. Authorities say the pickup may have drifted forward as Zalik slept. The truck dropped off an embankment and into the path of a tractor-trailer.
Zalik was a member of the 9th Company and was on the Naval Academy’s gymnastics team and was going to be its captain in the upcoming season.
The Academy says it plans a ceremony to celebrate his life later this month when midshipmen return.
Information from: The Morning Call,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain