OXFORD, Mass. (AP) – A 9-year-old boy is fighting for his life after a weekend shooting in Massachusetts at the hands of his father, who police say also killed his 7-year-old daughter before committing suicide.
A hospital spokeswoman said Monday shooting victim Owen Benway was in critical condition.
Authorities said the children’s father, Daryl Benway, 41, separated from his wife just weeks before opening fire Saturday at the family’s home in Oxford, 60 miles south of Boston.
On Monday night, nearly 1,000 people attended a prayer vigil in Oxford, including friends and classmates of the children, The (Worcester) Gazette & Telegram reported.
Owen’s sister, Abigail Benway, was to start second grade soon at Chaffee Elementary School. Schools officials are offering grief counseling.
The newspaper said the children’s mother, Kelleen Benway, posted a message on her Facebook page Monday saying, “I want to thank all that keep Abby and Owen in their prayers. I am truly devastated without my little girl and hanging on to my son with all I am. Please continue to pray for Owen.”
Friends and neighbors tell The Boston Globe that Daryl Benway recently lost his job and feared foreclosure.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America