OXFORD, Mass. (AP) – A 9-year-old boy is fighting for his life after a weekend shooting in Massachusetts at the hands of his father, who police say also killed his 7-year-old daughter before committing suicide.
A hospital spokeswoman said Monday shooting victim Owen Benway was in critical condition.
Authorities said the children’s father, Daryl Benway, 41, separated from his wife just weeks before opening fire Saturday at the family’s home in Oxford, 60 miles south of Boston.
On Monday night, nearly 1,000 people attended a prayer vigil in Oxford, including friends and classmates of the children, The (Worcester) Gazette & Telegram reported.
Owen’s sister, Abigail Benway, was to start second grade soon at Chaffee Elementary School. Schools officials are offering grief counseling.
The newspaper said the children’s mother, Kelleen Benway, posted a message on her Facebook page Monday saying, “I want to thank all that keep Abby and Owen in their prayers. I am truly devastated without my little girl and hanging on to my son with all I am. Please continue to pray for Owen.”
Friends and neighbors tell The Boston Globe that Daryl Benway recently lost his job and feared foreclosure.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night