LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – An Arkansas man suspected of killing his parents and taking his adopted 12-year-old sister to Memphis will be extradited to face capital murder charges, Little Rock police said Sunday.
Meanwhile, detectives have picked up his sister in Tennessee and brought her back to Arkansas, where she is in Department of Human Services custody while her family makes arrangements for her care, Little Rock police spokeswoman Sgt. Cassandra Davis said in a statement.
Police issued an Amber Alert for the girl Saturday after her parents were found dead in their Little Rock home. A church member going to meet Bobby Whitlow looked inside the home and saw Annette Whitlow lying on the living room floor by a fireplace, according to a police report. He called police, who discovered Bobby Whitlow in the kitchen.
Police have not said how the couple died, but the report lists a knife or other cutting instrument as the weapon.
Memphis police arrested the couple’s 33-year-old son, Antonio Whitlow, on Saturday night. Davis said the 12-year-old was with him and did not show any signs of injuries. Memphis is about 135 miles northeast of Little Rock.
Outside the Whitlows’ home, neighbors huddled around caution tape Saturday evening as investigators wheeled a yellow body bag out to the coroner’s van.
Tyra Marion, 30, said she sometimes saw the young girl riding her bike around the neighborhood, where new homes have been cropping up. The elder Whitlows, she said, were a quiet couple who held Bible studies.
“I would have never thought they were dead,” she said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development