LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – An Arkansas man suspected of killing his parents and taking his adopted 12-year-old sister to Memphis will be extradited to face capital murder charges, Little Rock police said Sunday.
Meanwhile, detectives have picked up his sister in Tennessee and brought her back to Arkansas, where she is in Department of Human Services custody while her family makes arrangements for her care, Little Rock police spokeswoman Sgt. Cassandra Davis said in a statement.
Police issued an Amber Alert for the girl Saturday after her parents were found dead in their Little Rock home. A church member going to meet Bobby Whitlow looked inside the home and saw Annette Whitlow lying on the living room floor by a fireplace, according to a police report. He called police, who discovered Bobby Whitlow in the kitchen.
Police have not said how the couple died, but the report lists a knife or other cutting instrument as the weapon.
Memphis police arrested the couple’s 33-year-old son, Antonio Whitlow, on Saturday night. Davis said the 12-year-old was with him and did not show any signs of injuries. Memphis is about 135 miles northeast of Little Rock.
Outside the Whitlows’ home, neighbors huddled around caution tape Saturday evening as investigators wheeled a yellow body bag out to the coroner’s van.
Tyra Marion, 30, said she sometimes saw the young girl riding her bike around the neighborhood, where new homes have been cropping up. The elder Whitlows, she said, were a quiet couple who held Bible studies.
“I would have never thought they were dead,” she said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier