LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – An Arkansas man suspected of killing his parents and taking his adopted 12-year-old sister to Memphis will be extradited to face capital murder charges, Little Rock police said Sunday.
Meanwhile, detectives have picked up his sister in Tennessee and brought her back to Arkansas, where she is in Department of Human Services custody while her family makes arrangements for her care, Little Rock police spokeswoman Sgt. Cassandra Davis said in a statement.
Police issued an Amber Alert for the girl Saturday after her parents were found dead in their Little Rock home. A church member going to meet Bobby Whitlow looked inside the home and saw Annette Whitlow lying on the living room floor by a fireplace, according to a police report. He called police, who discovered Bobby Whitlow in the kitchen.
Police have not said how the couple died, but the report lists a knife or other cutting instrument as the weapon.
Memphis police arrested the couple’s 33-year-old son, Antonio Whitlow, on Saturday night. Davis said the 12-year-old was with him and did not show any signs of injuries. Memphis is about 135 miles northeast of Little Rock.
Outside the Whitlows’ home, neighbors huddled around caution tape Saturday evening as investigators wheeled a yellow body bag out to the coroner’s van.
Tyra Marion, 30, said she sometimes saw the young girl riding her bike around the neighborhood, where new homes have been cropping up. The elder Whitlows, she said, were a quiet couple who held Bible studies.
“I would have never thought they were dead,” she said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever