ATLANTA (AP) – A judge has granted Georgia inmate Warren Lee Hill a stay of execution, but lawyers for the state plan to immediately appeal to the state’s Supreme Court.
Hill had been scheduled to die by lethal injection Friday for the 1990 killing of a fellow inmate. But Superior Court Judge Gail Tusan issued an injunction Thursday blocking that, which could be overturned on appeal.
Hill’s attorneys are challenging the constitutionality of a law barring the release of information about where Georgia obtains its execution drug. State attorneys contend the law is constitutional and necessary to discourage retaliation against those who take part in executions.
Tusan granted the injunction to allow further arguments.
Hill’s attorneys also have appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, saying he shouldn’t be executed because he’s mentally disabled.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night