ATLANTA (AP) – A judge has granted Georgia inmate Warren Lee Hill a stay of execution, but lawyers for the state plan to immediately appeal to the state’s Supreme Court.
Hill had been scheduled to die by lethal injection Friday for the 1990 killing of a fellow inmate. But Superior Court Judge Gail Tusan issued an injunction Thursday blocking that, which could be overturned on appeal.
Hill’s attorneys are challenging the constitutionality of a law barring the release of information about where Georgia obtains its execution drug. State attorneys contend the law is constitutional and necessary to discourage retaliation against those who take part in executions.
Tusan granted the injunction to allow further arguments.
Hill’s attorneys also have appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, saying he shouldn’t be executed because he’s mentally disabled.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick