DENVER (AP) – Both sides in the Colorado theater shootings soon will get their first look at a long-awaited opinion from a state psychiatrist on whether James Holmes was insane when he killed 12 people and injured 70.
The report, due Sept. 16, won’t be the final word on Holmes’ mental state. That’s up to the jury in next year’s trial.
But it will be a critical piece of evidence as jurors consider whether Holmes should be committed indefinitely to the state hospital, or whether he should be sentenced to life in prison or execution.
Holmes faces murder and attempted murder charges, and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
His lawyers acknowledge he was the gunman but say he was having a psychotic episode. Holmes has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns