A man making his own fireworks has died after a house explosion in a West Valley suburb.
Police in Surprise said Derek Baldwin, 38, died of injuries suffered Sunday night in the area of Greenway Road and 135th Drive.
When emergency units arrived, Baldwin was lying in the driveway, already in critical condition.
Crews evacuated neighbors until they could clear the home of any other hazards.
There were no other injuries reported.
Debris from the explosion landed several yards away.
After other fireworks-making material was collected, residents were allowed to return to their homes.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 43 million tourists spent $22 billion in Arizona last year, research finds
- Gosar endorses Ward over McSally in divisive Senate race
- Missouri-based Park University to open Gilbert campus later this year
- Organization aiming to relaunch migrant foster program in Phoenix
- Muslim group condemns Gosar over support of jailed far-right UK activist