A man making his own fireworks has died after a house explosion in a West Valley suburb.
Police in Surprise said Derek Baldwin, 38, died of injuries suffered Sunday night in the area of Greenway Road and 135th Drive.
When emergency units arrived, Baldwin was lying in the driveway, already in critical condition.
Crews evacuated neighbors until they could clear the home of any other hazards.
There were no other injuries reported.
Debris from the explosion landed several yards away.
After other fireworks-making material was collected, residents were allowed to return to their homes.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Arizona schools chief Diane Douglas supports Board of Regents lawsuit
- Phoenix-based marijuana company plans to turn town into pot resort
- Arizona officials urging people to get flu shots as season approaches
- Phoenix is fastest-warming city in US, meteorologist says