A man making his own fireworks has died after a house explosion in a West Valley suburb.
Police in Surprise said Derek Baldwin, 38, died of injuries suffered Sunday night in the area of Greenway Road and 135th Drive.
When emergency units arrived, Baldwin was lying in the driveway, already in critical condition.
Crews evacuated neighbors until they could clear the home of any other hazards.
There were no other injuries reported.
Debris from the explosion landed several yards away.
After other fireworks-making material was collected, residents were allowed to return to their homes.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Local investor envisions a haunting future for historic Peoria hotel
- Police: Guard at state office arrested in no-injury shooting
- California-based company to move manufacturing operations to Goodyear
- Arizona inmate’s coarse wording does not bar suit against cops
- Which type of hard drive is the most reliable?