LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) – A West Texas plastic surgeon paid someone $9,000 _ in the form of three silver bars _ to kill another doctor who was dating his ex-girlfriend, police alleged Monday.
Dr. Thomas Michael Dixon and David Neal Shepard were arrested by police in Amarillo shortly after midnight, authorities announced. They are suspected of being involved in the death of Lubbock doctor Dr. Joseph Sonnier III.
An arrest warrant affidavit suggests a love triangle between Dixon, Sonnier and a woman who was not identified by police. The affidavit alleges Dixon offered Shepard the three bars, each with an estimated value of $3,000, to kill Sonnier, who was chief pathologist for Covenant Health System in Lubbock.
Sonnier, 57, was found shot and stabbed Wednesday inside his home in Lubbock, about 120 miles south of the Texas Panhandle city of Amarillo. A window was broken.
Sonnier’s girlfriend told a police detective that Dixon, 48, was her ex-boyfriend and that he “insisted on seeing her, even though she was dating Dr. Sonnier,” according to the affidavit.
Also, a co-worker of Sonnier told the detective that Sonnier had said that his girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend “would not leave her alone,” the affidavit says.
Meanwhile, police discovered through an online database that Shepard had sold a 100-ounce bar of silver at an Amarillo pawn shop for $2,750, the affidavit says. His roommate told authorities that Shepard had been watching Sonnier for weeks and texting Dixon.
Shepard told his roommate that he broke into Sonnier’s home through a window and shot him several times with a gun Dixon had given him, the affidavit said. He knew several details that investigators had kept private, it said.
Shepard, 51, tried to commit suicide in the days after the murder by cutting his wrists, the roommate allegedly told authorities. The roommate said Dixon closed the wounds, told him to calm down and “suggested that David Shepard leave for a couple of weeks,” the affidavit said.
Lubbock Police Capt. Jon Caspell said Monday that he didn’t know when Dixon and the woman broke up. Dixon and Sonnier appeared to have known each other aside from the woman, Caspell said.
Dixon is a well-known plastic surgeon in Amarillo. No one answered the phone Monday at his practice, High Plains Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He was transferred from Randall County to the Lubbock County jail on Monday afternoon. Online court records did not yet list an attorney for him.
No phone number was listed for Shepard.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon