An officer-involved shooting near 39th Avenue and McDowell Road has left two dead and an officer with non-life-threatening injuries.
Two officers arrived at the scene and were immediately confronted by a suspect with a gun. The suspect, identified as 43-year-old Francis Clark, exchanged fire with two officers and was shot and killed. According to Phoenix Police spokesman James Holmes, one officer was shot in the arm while another was hit in his bulletproof vest, which stopped the bullet.
Both officers are expected to make a full recovery.
Following the gun fight, police found a victim identified as 41-year-old Mercy Cordova dead in an apartment. She was shot by the suspect prior to the police’s arrival. The victim and suspect reportedly had a domestic relationship for several years and had no children in common.
Police evacuated residents of the apartment complex at 3737 W. McDowwell Rd, according to Holmes.
- Phoenix police adopt new immigration-related policies
- Phoenix chief says Trump police comments paint officers in bad light
- Bike rider shoots at Phoenix police, dies in gunfire exchange
- Police searching for man who shot at Phoenix officers
- Police look for suspects in robbery, road rage shooting cases