CENTERVILLE, Mass. (AP) – Seven weeks after she hanged herself, Mary Richardson Kennedy was reburied in a Cape Cod cemetery 700 feet from her original grave near other Kennedy family members.
Frank Maki, superintendent of the St. Francis Xavier Cemetery near Hyannisport, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Robert Kennedy’s estranged wife was exhumed earlier this month. She was first buried on May 19 near her husband’s aunt and uncle, Eunice Kennedy Shriver and Sargent Shriver.
Robert Kennedy Jr. reportedly asked that Mary Kennedy be reburied on a hilltop surrounded by empty plots he’s negotiating to buy.
Calls from the AP to people representing Mary and Robert Kennedy were not immediately returned on Saturday.
The 52-year-old mother of four hanged herself on May 16 in a barn by the couple’s home in New York’s Westchester County amid bitter divorce proceedings, after he won temporary custody of their four children, ages 11 to 18.
Since he filed for divorce two years ago, her battle against drug and alcohol addiction included an arrest for driving while intoxicated. An autopsy report showed she had antidepressants in her system when she died.
In a court affidavit linked to their divorce, Robert claimed his wife beat him, threatened suicide in front of her children, ran over the family dog and drank until she passed out.
The Richardson family said his account was filled with lies.
They lost a court fight to bury her at a location of their choosing.
The Cape Cod cemetery is in Centerville, near the Kennedy compound in Hyannisport.
Mary Kennedy’s relatives did not attend the funeral Robert Kennedy organized in Bedford, N.Y., the Westchester County town where they lived. After her burial, the Richardsons organized a private tribute to her in Manhattan.
Photos show her new grave near the cemetery entrance is marked by small religious statues and two American flags.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier