CENTERVILLE, Mass. (AP) – Seven weeks after she hanged herself, Mary Richardson Kennedy was reburied in a Cape Cod cemetery 700 feet from her original grave near other Kennedy family members.
Frank Maki, superintendent of the St. Francis Xavier Cemetery near Hyannisport, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Robert Kennedy’s estranged wife was exhumed earlier this month. She was first buried on May 19 near her husband’s aunt and uncle, Eunice Kennedy Shriver and Sargent Shriver.
Robert Kennedy Jr. reportedly asked that Mary Kennedy be reburied on a hilltop surrounded by empty plots he’s negotiating to buy.
Calls from the AP to people representing Mary and Robert Kennedy were not immediately returned on Saturday.
The 52-year-old mother of four hanged herself on May 16 in a barn by the couple’s home in New York’s Westchester County amid bitter divorce proceedings, after he won temporary custody of their four children, ages 11 to 18.
Since he filed for divorce two years ago, her battle against drug and alcohol addiction included an arrest for driving while intoxicated. An autopsy report showed she had antidepressants in her system when she died.
In a court affidavit linked to their divorce, Robert claimed his wife beat him, threatened suicide in front of her children, ran over the family dog and drank until she passed out.
The Richardson family said his account was filled with lies.
They lost a court fight to bury her at a location of their choosing.
The Cape Cod cemetery is in Centerville, near the Kennedy compound in Hyannisport.
Mary Kennedy’s relatives did not attend the funeral Robert Kennedy organized in Bedford, N.Y., the Westchester County town where they lived. After her burial, the Richardsons organized a private tribute to her in Manhattan.
Photos show her new grave near the cemetery entrance is marked by small religious statues and two American flags.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food