The phrase has become an iconic part of our culture.
Most will recognize it as the beginning of the now famous Miranda warning. The relevant Supreme Court case (Miranda v. Arizona), was based on events that all occurred within a couple of miles of downtown Phoenix.
This week’s Think Tank’s first guest is Carroll Cooley, who was the Phoenix police detective who investigated, and subsequently arrested, Ernesto Miranda. He walks us through the largely forgotten sequence of that eventually led to the case that expanded the rights of the criminally accused in America 50 years ago.
Legal scholar and defense attorney Robert McWhirter then joins the show to provide historical and legal perspective on the case.
- Taxes! Misleading the unwary with ‘slippery language’
- Arizona education: Where are our tax dollars going?
- Robb, Coughlin discuss future of Republican Party on Think Tank
- Trump’s tax proposals: Tax reform or soak the middle class?
- Chuck Coughlin, Mike O’Neil talk local political dominoes on Think Tank