PHOENIX — Self-proclaimed nerds have a new place to go in Phoenix: Another arcade bar opened in the city this week.
Bonus Round, located near Camelback Road and Central Avenue, officially hit the “Start” button on business on Friday.
Co-owner James Goshow and his cousin, co-founder Jacob Rendel, said they envisioned a place where people could hang out, sip a brew and talk about “nerdy” topics.
“A place where you’re welcome to be a nerd, someone with a deep passion,” Goshow said in a release. “Whether that passion is ‘Star Wars,’ cocktails, comics, or craft beer.”
The bar partnered with several local businesses to create its unique environment. In addition to offering 15 classic arcade games — at no charge — patrons can also enjoy dozens of table top games, food and drinks, all wrapped in a comic book theme.
“We want a hip-yet-relaxing atmosphere that encourages guests to lounge around and enjoy some of the 10 draft handles — most of which are local — the custom cocktails and our casual bar food with its slightly nostalgic vibe,” Rendel said in the same release. “In other words, a place to geek out and game on.”
The cousins recruited Clayton Steffen, formerly of the Whining Pig, to lead the craft beer portion of the bar and Matt Gacy, formerly of Gallo Blanco, to head up cocktail creation.
- Phoenix works with community to replace aging public-housing complex
- Study shows Phoenix is most stressed city in Arizona, Scottsdale the least
- Canned food structures on display for Phoenix ‘Canstruction’ competition
- Phoenix expected to see 118 degree temperatures next week
- Closures, restrictions of I-10 in Phoenix to continue this weekend