SAN FERNANDO, Calif. (AP) – A judge has dismissed criminal battery charges against a former San Fernando city councilwoman after her ex-lover and former fellow councilman failed to show up in court to testify against her.
The Los Angeles Daily News reports (
http://bit.ly/UCXpI6) prosecutors have six months to re-file charges against 41-year-old Maribel De La Torre, but the district attorney’s office says that’s unlikely.
Authorities say De La Torre was charged with misdemeanor battery and vandalism following a June fight between her and former city councilman Mario Hernandez.
Hernandez had said he wouldn’t testify, and he didn’t show up to court Monday.
San Fernando voters ousted De La Torre, Hernandez and Mayor Brenda Esqueda through a recall in November, after a scandalous affair between the two councilmembers was revealed.
Hernandez had resigned his post in July.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon