CUMBERLAND VALLEY TWP., Pa. (AP) – A tour bus going too fast on a snow-covered road crashed in southwestern Pennsylvania Sunday, sending more than 20 passengers to the hospital with minor injuries, officials said.
State police said that bus driver Terrence Harold Shultz, 65, lost control and crashed into an embankment around 2:20 p.m. on Route 220 in Cumberland Valley Township, about five miles from the Maryland border.
The bus was traveling “at a speed that was greater than is reasonable and prudent for the condition,” according to the state police report. Officials did not say how fast the bus was traveling.
Twenty-six of the 33 passengers on the bus were taken to two hospitals in the area and all but three with minor injuries were treated and released, hospital officials said.
The bus, owned by Freedom Excursions in Altoona, was headed to the Rocky Gap Casino Resort in western Maryland. A message seeking comment from Freedom Excursions was not immediately returned.
Western Maryland Health Systems spokeswoman Kathy Rogers said 15 patients were brought there and all but three with minor injuries were expected to be treated and released.
UPMC Bedford spokeswoman Susan Manko said 10 patients were treated and released from the hospital and one person declined treatment. A man who was originally said to have serious injuries was among those treated and released, Manko said.
Twenty-five EMS units from four counties responded to the crash site, according to David Cubbison, the director of emergency services for Bedford County.
“It was snowing all day,” he said. “We had numerous accidents across the county throughout the afternoon.”
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.