CUMBERLAND VALLEY TWP., Pa. (AP) – A tour bus going too fast on a snow-covered road crashed in southwestern Pennsylvania Sunday, sending more than 20 passengers to the hospital with minor injuries, officials said.
State police said that bus driver Terrence Harold Shultz, 65, lost control and crashed into an embankment around 2:20 p.m. on Route 220 in Cumberland Valley Township, about five miles from the Maryland border.
The bus was traveling “at a speed that was greater than is reasonable and prudent for the condition,” according to the state police report. Officials did not say how fast the bus was traveling.
Twenty-six of the 33 passengers on the bus were taken to two hospitals in the area and all but three with minor injuries were treated and released, hospital officials said.
The bus, owned by Freedom Excursions in Altoona, was headed to the Rocky Gap Casino Resort in western Maryland. A message seeking comment from Freedom Excursions was not immediately returned.
Western Maryland Health Systems spokeswoman Kathy Rogers said 15 patients were brought there and all but three with minor injuries were expected to be treated and released.
UPMC Bedford spokeswoman Susan Manko said 10 patients were treated and released from the hospital and one person declined treatment. A man who was originally said to have serious injuries was among those treated and released, Manko said.
Twenty-five EMS units from four counties responded to the crash site, according to David Cubbison, the director of emergency services for Bedford County.
“It was snowing all day,” he said. “We had numerous accidents across the county throughout the afternoon.”
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them