ST. LOUIS (AP) – The uncle of an American graduate student mauled by chimpanzees at a South African sanctuary says the man’s parents are flying from the U.S. to visit their critically injured son.
Carl Oberle of suburban St. Louis said his 26-year-old nephew, Andrew F. Oberle, remained hospitalized Saturday.
Officials say the University of Texas at San Antonio anthropology graduate student was badly injured Thursday when two chimpanzees pulled him under a fence while he was giving a lecture at the Jane Goodall Institute Chimpanzee Eden.
Carl Oberle described chimps as his nephew’s “passion” and says he knew each animal by its “name and face.”
A conservationist who runs the sanctuary says investigators will have to wait until Oberle is well enough to provide details to try to determine what prompted the attack.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy