TONOPAH, Nev. (AP) – A moderate earthquake and a trio of smaller aftershocks have struck in rural Nevada near the California state line.
The U.S. Geological Survey says the 5.1-magnitude earthquake hit at 4:10 p.m. Tuesday.
It was centered 45 miles west of Tonopah, about 200 miles south of Reno and 17 miles south of Mina.
The Nevada Seismological Lab at the University of Nevada, Reno says three aftershocks followed of magnitudes 3.1, 3.3 and 3.7. The last came at 4:49 p.m. 25 miles south of Mina.
Ellen Hall-Patton, a student seismological analyst at the Reno lab, said all were centered near the same area.
A Nye County sheriff’s dispatcher said she felt the earthquake in Tonopah but there were no damage reports.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes