LOS ANGELES (AP) – Two men suspected of kicking the head of another motorist in a videotaped road rage incident have been charged in the beating by Los Angeles County prosecutors.
David Mendez, 21, and Edras A. Ramirez, 27, are each charged with assault with a deadly weapon _ their feet _ and assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, the district attorney’s office said Monday.
The assault captured on video by another motorist showed the men fighting the driver of another car, Jerry Patterson, on June 12 after they stopped their cars on Interstate 5, prosecutors said.
In the video, the men are seen fighting. Patterson is thrown to the pavement and then kicked in the head.
Mendez and Ramirez surrendered to authorities June 20 after the video went viral on the Internet. Arraignment was set for July 13.
The beating victim was also charged with involvement in a similar and separate incident last month, said Long Beach city prosecutor’s office spokesman Randall Fudge.
Patterson was arrested without incident Friday in Altadena on an outstanding warrant for suspicion of DUI, hit and run and assault in a May 25 incident.
Patterson is accused of driving recklessly through the area and arguing and assaulting a man who followed him and reported him to police.
Originally slated for Friday, Patterson’s arraignment was rescheduled for July 6 to give him time to secure legal representation.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past