LOS ANGELES (AP) – Two men suspected of kicking the head of another motorist in a videotaped road rage incident have been charged in the beating by Los Angeles County prosecutors.
David Mendez, 21, and Edras A. Ramirez, 27, are each charged with assault with a deadly weapon _ their feet _ and assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, the district attorney’s office said Monday.
The assault captured on video by another motorist showed the men fighting the driver of another car, Jerry Patterson, on June 12 after they stopped their cars on Interstate 5, prosecutors said.
In the video, the men are seen fighting. Patterson is thrown to the pavement and then kicked in the head.
Mendez and Ramirez surrendered to authorities June 20 after the video went viral on the Internet. Arraignment was set for July 13.
The beating victim was also charged with involvement in a similar and separate incident last month, said Long Beach city prosecutor’s office spokesman Randall Fudge.
Patterson was arrested without incident Friday in Altadena on an outstanding warrant for suspicion of DUI, hit and run and assault in a May 25 incident.
Patterson is accused of driving recklessly through the area and arguing and assaulting a man who followed him and reported him to police.
Originally slated for Friday, Patterson’s arraignment was rescheduled for July 6 to give him time to secure legal representation.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them