LOS ANGELES (AP) – Two men suspected of kicking the head of another motorist in a videotaped road rage incident have been charged in the beating by Los Angeles County prosecutors.
David Mendez, 21, and Edras A. Ramirez, 27, are each charged with assault with a deadly weapon _ their feet _ and assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, the district attorney’s office said Monday.
The assault captured on video by another motorist showed the men fighting the driver of another car, Jerry Patterson, on June 12 after they stopped their cars on Interstate 5, prosecutors said.
In the video, the men are seen fighting. Patterson is thrown to the pavement and then kicked in the head.
Mendez and Ramirez surrendered to authorities June 20 after the video went viral on the Internet. Arraignment was set for July 13.
The beating victim was also charged with involvement in a similar and separate incident last month, said Long Beach city prosecutor’s office spokesman Randall Fudge.
Patterson was arrested without incident Friday in Altadena on an outstanding warrant for suspicion of DUI, hit and run and assault in a May 25 incident.
Patterson is accused of driving recklessly through the area and arguing and assaulting a man who followed him and reported him to police.
Originally slated for Friday, Patterson’s arraignment was rescheduled for July 6 to give him time to secure legal representation.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees