PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) – Officials now say 53 structures including 24 residences were destroyed by the big wildfire in northern Los Angeles County.
U.S. Forest Service spokesman Shawn Rollman said Thursday that crews were able to revise damage estimates now that there are few open flames.
Containment has increased to 83 percent on the 47-square-mile blaze.
Rollman says the destroyed residences could include houses and mobile homes. Of all the structures that burned to the ground, 29 were outbuildings.
Some firefighting resources have been demobilized but most will remain until a containment line extends around the entire burn area.
The so-called Powerhouse Fire erupted a week ago in rural lands near a utility facility about 45 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
The estimated cost of fighting the fire has risen to $11.4 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development