PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) – Officials now say 53 structures including 24 residences were destroyed by the big wildfire in northern Los Angeles County.
U.S. Forest Service spokesman Shawn Rollman said Thursday that crews were able to revise damage estimates now that there are few open flames.
Containment has increased to 83 percent on the 47-square-mile blaze.
Rollman says the destroyed residences could include houses and mobile homes. Of all the structures that burned to the ground, 29 were outbuildings.
Some firefighting resources have been demobilized but most will remain until a containment line extends around the entire burn area.
The so-called Powerhouse Fire erupted a week ago in rural lands near a utility facility about 45 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
The estimated cost of fighting the fire has risen to $11.4 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets