PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) – Officials now say 53 structures including 24 residences were destroyed by the big wildfire in northern Los Angeles County.
U.S. Forest Service spokesman Shawn Rollman said Thursday that crews were able to revise damage estimates now that there are few open flames.
Containment has increased to 83 percent on the 47-square-mile blaze.
Rollman says the destroyed residences could include houses and mobile homes. Of all the structures that burned to the ground, 29 were outbuildings.
Some firefighting resources have been demobilized but most will remain until a containment line extends around the entire burn area.
The so-called Powerhouse Fire erupted a week ago in rural lands near a utility facility about 45 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
The estimated cost of fighting the fire has risen to $11.4 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck