PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) – Officials now say 53 structures including 24 residences were destroyed by the big wildfire in northern Los Angeles County.
U.S. Forest Service spokesman Shawn Rollman said Thursday that crews were able to revise damage estimates now that there are few open flames.
Containment has increased to 83 percent on the 47-square-mile blaze.
Rollman says the destroyed residences could include houses and mobile homes. Of all the structures that burned to the ground, 29 were outbuildings.
Some firefighting resources have been demobilized but most will remain until a containment line extends around the entire burn area.
The so-called Powerhouse Fire erupted a week ago in rural lands near a utility facility about 45 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
The estimated cost of fighting the fire has risen to $11.4 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night