EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) – The suspect in an armored car heist at a Canadian university that left three armed guards dead was charged Thursday with three counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.
Travis Baumgartner, handcuffed and wearing a blue prison jumpsuit, showed no expression in court as he was also charged with four counts of robbery using a firearm. He was not required to enter a plea. The next hearing was scheduled for July 5.
Baumgartner, 21, is accused of shooting four colleagues in a G4S Cash Solutions crew that was re-loading bank machines at a University of Alberta mall last week. Baumgartner was the fifth member of the crew at the time, police said.
Dead at the scene were Michelle Shegelski, 26; Eddie Rejano, 39; and Brian Ilesic, 35. The fourth guard is in critical condition.
The armored truck was found abandoned but running not far from the security company’s offices.
The court ordered Baumgartner not to contact a number of people, including employees of the security company he worked for.
Most of the people on the no-contact list are expected to be witnesses, said chief prosecutor Steve Bilodeau.
“It’s actually a pretty routine order with important witnesses,” Bilodeau said outside court. “While he’s in remand, he can’t phone them or contact them in any way.”
Police had launched an international manhunt to find Baumgartner, who was stopped Saturday near a border crossing in Lynden, Washington, southwest of Abbotsford, British Columbia. He was carrying $330,000 in cash and no passport when he was arrested by U.S. border officials.
G4S Cash Solutions spokeswoman Robin Steinberg said the company would conduct its own investigation into the shooting. Baumgartner had only been on the job for three months.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy