LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) – A suburban Chicago woman was sentenced Wednesday to one year of probation after two of her children were found bound and blindfolded in a Walmart parking lot in Kansas.
Deborah Gomez, 43, and her husband, Adolfo Gomez, 52, of Northlake, Ill., have been in custody since they were arrested June 13. Police found two of their children, ages 5 and 7, bound by their hands and feet in a Walmart parking lot in Lawrence. Three other children, ages 12, 13 and 15, were inside the family’s vehicle unrestrained.
Deborah Gomez pleaded no contest last month to three counts of child endangerment.
Adolfo Gomez, who also pleaded no contest to two counts of felony child abuse and three misdemeanor counts of child endangerment, is scheduled to be sentenced in Feb. 8.
Angela Keck, Deborah Gomez’s court-appointed attorney, said her client was an unwilling participant in binding and blindfolding the children, which Adolfo Gomez did to ward off demons. Keck said Deborah Gomez has since been freed from her husband’s influence.
Deborah Gomez said at her sentencing Wednesday that she hopes to work toward regaining custody of her five children, who have been placed in protective custody, The Lawrence Journal-World reported (
“I love my children very much,” Deborah Gomez said.
She also said that if she gets permission from probation officials she plans to move to Arizona, which is where the family was headed to visit relatives when the parents were arrested in Lawrence.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.