LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) – A suburban Chicago woman was sentenced Wednesday to one year of probation after two of her children were found bound and blindfolded in a Walmart parking lot in Kansas.
Deborah Gomez, 43, and her husband, Adolfo Gomez, 52, of Northlake, Ill., have been in custody since they were arrested June 13. Police found two of their children, ages 5 and 7, bound by their hands and feet in a Walmart parking lot in Lawrence. Three other children, ages 12, 13 and 15, were inside the family’s vehicle unrestrained.
Deborah Gomez pleaded no contest last month to three counts of child endangerment.
Adolfo Gomez, who also pleaded no contest to two counts of felony child abuse and three misdemeanor counts of child endangerment, is scheduled to be sentenced in Feb. 8.
Angela Keck, Deborah Gomez’s court-appointed attorney, said her client was an unwilling participant in binding and blindfolding the children, which Adolfo Gomez did to ward off demons. Keck said Deborah Gomez has since been freed from her husband’s influence.
Deborah Gomez said at her sentencing Wednesday that she hopes to work toward regaining custody of her five children, who have been placed in protective custody, The Lawrence Journal-World reported (
“I love my children very much,” Deborah Gomez said.
She also said that if she gets permission from probation officials she plans to move to Arizona, which is where the family was headed to visit relatives when the parents were arrested in Lawrence.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick