OMAHA, Neb. (AP) – A gunman who died after a standoff with police at a Nebraska pharmacy admitted killing a Colorado man in 2011, authorities said Thursday.
The Nebraska State Patrol said 27-year-old Andres Gonzalez told negotiators during Tuesday’s standoff that he killed Joshua Bullock, whose burned pickup truck was found by a rancher Dec. 14 near Chadron. The western Nebraska town is about 50 miles north of Alliance, where the pharmacy shootout took place.
Investigators believe Gonzalez killed the 38-year-old Denver man around Dec. 1 and left his body in a remote area of western Nebraska, though his remains haven’t been found, State Patrol spokeswoman Deb Collins said in a statement.
Authorities arrested Gonzalez’s girlfriend, 19-year-old Rose Siefke, of Hemingford, on a charge of being an accessory to a felony, according to the State Patrol’s statement.
She was being held at the Box Butte County Jail, where officials couldn’t provide any information including whether Siefke had an attorney. County Attorney K.J. Hutchinson said investigators believe Siefke helped conceal Bullock’s death, but she had not been formally charged as of Thursday.
Authorities said Gonzalez tried to rob Thiele Pharmacy & Gifts early Tuesday, triggering a 14-hour standoff. Gonzalez died after a shootout with police. Earlier in the day, officers found his father dead at home.
Three police officers and the pharmacist were shot and wounded, and they remained hospitalized Thursday.
Patrol officials said investigators were trying Thursday to piece together the incidents surrounding Bullock’s death and the shootout.
“Josh Bullock’s disappearance was an active case, but we had little information to go on,” Lt. Monica Bartling said. “Our investigation will now focus on finding Josh’s remains and bringing some closure to his family and friends.”
Bullock had ties to Chadron and Alliance, and he was last seen in Alliance after visiting family on Dec. 1.
Autopsies were conducted Thursday on Andres Gonzalez and his father, Larry Gonzalez. Hutchinson said it was too early to say how either man died.
The two officers and pharmacist wounded in the standoff were in stable condition Thursday, Box Butte General Hospital spokeswoman Bonnie Wallace said.
In Alliance, a city of about 8,600 people, restrictions had been lifted on access to downtown. Cheryl Moser, who manages the Dollar General store down the block from the pharmacy, said her customers were returning Thursday, and some people seemed to be looking for bullet holes near the shooting scene.
“Everybody’s curious if they weren’t down here,” she said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food