SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – Two children were among four people killed when a car collided with a minivan on a rural Northern California highway, authorities said.
The wreck came as a Toyota Prius crossed the center line on Highway 50 near Placerville on Saturday night and struck a Toyota Sienna minivan “broadside,” said California Highway Patrol spokesman Officer John Frizzell.
The crash also left three people injured. Earlier reports had put the injury toll at five.
Three people in the Prius were killed in the crash, Frizzell said. They were identified as 38-year-old Sheng Kun Su, who was driving; 39-year-old Shu Zhen Zhao; and 8-year-old Shawn Su, all from Oakland. Another child in the car, identified as 10-year-old Elly Su, was hospitalized with severe injuries, CHP Officer Sean Ricci told the Sacramento Bee.
Of the five people in the minivan, a 4-year-old girl from Pollock Pines was killed, Frizzell said. Nora Elizabeth Temple died after being taken to a hospital. A 35-year-old female driver and a 52-year-old man suffered minor to moderate injuries. Twin 1-year-old boys were not injured.
Weather conditions at the time of the crash were clear.
“We don’t know what caused the Prius to cross into oncoming traffic,” Frizzell said Sunday. “There’s an infinite number of possibilities.”
Investigators have pulled computers from both vehicles that would indicate how fast they were going at the time of the crash, but collecting that information would probably take days, Frizzell said.
The highway where the crash took place is just outside of Placerville, about 45 miles east of Sacramento. The highway has two lanes, with minor to moderate curves, and with a speed limit of 65 miles per hour, Frizzell said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl