SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – Two children were among four people killed when a car collided with a minivan on a rural Northern California highway, authorities said.
The wreck came as a Toyota Prius crossed the center line on Highway 50 near Placerville on Saturday night and struck a Toyota Sienna minivan “broadside,” said California Highway Patrol spokesman Officer John Frizzell.
The crash also left three people injured. Earlier reports had put the injury toll at five.
Three people in the Prius were killed in the crash, Frizzell said. They were identified as 38-year-old Sheng Kun Su, who was driving; 39-year-old Shu Zhen Zhao; and 8-year-old Shawn Su, all from Oakland. Another child in the car, identified as 10-year-old Elly Su, was hospitalized with severe injuries, CHP Officer Sean Ricci told the Sacramento Bee.
Of the five people in the minivan, a 4-year-old girl from Pollock Pines was killed, Frizzell said. Nora Elizabeth Temple died after being taken to a hospital. A 35-year-old female driver and a 52-year-old man suffered minor to moderate injuries. Twin 1-year-old boys were not injured.
Weather conditions at the time of the crash were clear.
“We don’t know what caused the Prius to cross into oncoming traffic,” Frizzell said Sunday. “There’s an infinite number of possibilities.”
Investigators have pulled computers from both vehicles that would indicate how fast they were going at the time of the crash, but collecting that information would probably take days, Frizzell said.
The highway where the crash took place is just outside of Placerville, about 45 miles east of Sacramento. The highway has two lanes, with minor to moderate curves, and with a speed limit of 65 miles per hour, Frizzell said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy