TACOMA, Wash. (AP) – Three Washington teenagers who say they were sold online for sex have sued the website Backpage.com, accusing the website owners of enabling their exploitation.
The News Tribune of Tacoma reported Sunday (
http://is.gd/9Kf1oU) that two 13-year-old girls from Pierce County and one 15-year-old from King County sued in Pierce County Superior Court on Friday.
Seattle attorney Liz McDougall, who represents Backpage’s corporate owners, says the lawsuit will not pass legal muster and is barred by federal law. The site is owned by Village Voice Media in New York.
Backpage is a popular online destination for escort services. The lawsuit alleges that photos of the underage girls appeared in numerous ads on the site, paid for by their pimps. It accuses the owners of doing nothing to prevent it.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains