NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) – A bus driver has sued a Connecticut hospital, saying staff at an affiliated facility failed to promptly and properly treat his painful erection and watched a baseball game on television while he waited.
Daren Scott of Brockton, Mass., is seeking $2 million in his federal lawsuit against Yale-New Haven Hospital. The lawsuit says Scott was diagnosed before the incident with recurrent priapism, a persistent painful erection unrelated to sexual stimulation.
Scott was driving customers from Boston to New York on April 17, 2009, when he suffered a persistent and disabling erection. After dropping off the customers, Scott said he checked into an emergency medical facility affiliated with the hospital but was told he had to move his bus because he had parked it in the wrong place.
Scott suffered more pain as a result of moving the bus, and when he explained he was in great pain was told to wait, according to the lawsuit, which was filed in March.
While waiting, Scott said he noticed that the facility’s staff, including physicians on duty, was watching the game on TV. Scott says his pain worsened and he told a nurse.
“Notwithstanding this call for help, the staff, including the physicians, continued to watch the baseball game and ignore plaintiff’s condition,” the lawsuit states.
After an hour, Scott was brought into a treatment room. He said a doctor refused to properly inject his medication, and no effort was made to bring in an urologist.
Scott says he was later taken to the hospital and forced to wait another four hours before receiving treatment. He said an operation was unsuccessful and he remained in great pain for several months.
The hospital last week filed court papers denying the allegations, saying Scott was negligent in failing to seek immediate treatment and “by failing to follow reasonable medical advice regarding his care and treatment.” The hospital also said in its filing that the claims were barred by a statute of limitations.
Telephone messages were left Monday for attorneys for Scott and the hospital.
A hospital spokesman said Monday the hospital will vigorously defend its position in court.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)