SAN DIEGO (AP) – Authorities say an Anaheim cabdriver has been sentenced to six years in prison, becoming the last of four Somali immigrants to be sentenced for funneling thousands of dollars to a terrorist organization in their native country.
A statement from the U.S. attorney in San Diego says Ahmed Nasiri Taalil Mohamud on Friday received the lightest sentence of the four co-conspirators convicted by a jury 11 months ago of raising and sending nearly $11,000 to al-Shabab, a militia group linked to al-Qaida.
The other three defendants, a cabdriver, an imam and the owner of a money-transfer business, all Somali immigrants living in the U.S., received between 10 and 18 years in prison.
The case was built on hundreds of phone calls the government secretly recorded.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas