SAN DIEGO (AP) – Authorities say an Anaheim cabdriver has been sentenced to six years in prison, becoming the last of four Somali immigrants to be sentenced for funneling thousands of dollars to a terrorist organization in their native country.
A statement from the U.S. attorney in San Diego says Ahmed Nasiri Taalil Mohamud on Friday received the lightest sentence of the four co-conspirators convicted by a jury 11 months ago of raising and sending nearly $11,000 to al-Shabab, a militia group linked to al-Qaida.
The other three defendants, a cabdriver, an imam and the owner of a money-transfer business, all Somali immigrants living in the U.S., received between 10 and 18 years in prison.
The case was built on hundreds of phone calls the government secretly recorded.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development