PORTLAND, Maine (AP) – The Navy has decided to scrap the submarine USS Miami because of the high cost of repairs after a fire that damaged the vessel at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard last year.
Navy Rear Adm. Rick Breckenridge, director of undersea warfare, said Tuesday that repairing the Groton, Conn.-based sub would have meant canceling work on dozens of other ships because of new budget restraints. He says that would’ve hurt the Navy’s overall readiness.
The Navy originally said it planned to repair the submarine but the discovery of new damage would further drive up the cost of repairs, originally estimated at about $450 million.
A shipyard worker was sentenced to 17 years in prison after admitting he set fire to the Miami in dry dock at the Kittery shipyard during a 20-month overhaul.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life