A day after Ted Cruz ended his presidential campaign, John Kasich has officially done the same.
Kasich cancelled a press conference in Virginia and tearfully made the announcement during a speech in Columbus on Wednesday afternoon.
The Ohio governor had 153 delegates and his only chance at the nomination would have been a brokered convention.
After Donald Trump’s win in Indiana Tuesday, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus tweeted Trump would be the GOP nominee.
When Trump swept five states last week, Cruz and Kasich had formed an alliance in hopes of stopping the New York billionaire.
Trump won the Indiana contest with 53.3 percent of the vote, to Cruz’s 36.6 percent and Kasich’s 7.6 percent, according to unofficial results.
- Donald Trump defends self after comments: ‘I am not a racist’
- McCain, O’Halleran denounce Trump’s ‘s***hole countries’ comment
- Trump denies using foul language to describe African countries
- McSally, Arpaio tie in poll for US Senate race
- Arizona Legislature looking at ‘short and painful’ 2018 session