A day after Ted Cruz ended his presidential campaign, John Kasich has officially done the same.
Kasich cancelled a press conference in Virginia and tearfully made the announcement during a speech in Columbus on Wednesday afternoon.
The Ohio governor had 153 delegates and his only chance at the nomination would have been a brokered convention.
After Donald Trump’s win in Indiana Tuesday, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus tweeted Trump would be the GOP nominee.
When Trump swept five states last week, Cruz and Kasich had formed an alliance in hopes of stopping the New York billionaire.
Trump won the Indiana contest with 53.3 percent of the vote, to Cruz’s 36.6 percent and Kasich’s 7.6 percent, according to unofficial results.
- Opinion: Freedom of Speech applies to everyone, including the president
- Trump mentions McCain, remains confident Obamacare will be repealed
- Politics and Sean Spicer take center stage at Emmy Awards
- Are Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer now friends?
- Ryan sees compromise on immigration after Trump forces issue