VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AP) – A weapon designed to blast nuclear missiles out of the sky failed to hit its target over the Pacific Ocean during a test Friday, military officials said.
A ground-based interceptor missile was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base and was supposed to hit its target _ a missile launched 4,000 miles away from the Kwajalein Atoll, according to the Missile Defense Agency.
But the interceptor did not hit its target. Officials will try to determine the cause of any anomalies that may have prevented a successful intercept.
The interceptor is one of about 30 deployed in Alaska and at Vandenberg under a missile defense program begun in 2004. In March, the Pentagon announced it will spend $1 billion to place another 14 interceptors in Alaska. The military said it’s responding to North Korean progress on nuclear weapons.
The weapon is a sensor-filled package that uses kinetic energy from a direct hit to destroy the incoming target.
It was the second test at Vandenberg this year for the missile defense program and the first for the system since flight testing was halted after a failed intercept in December 2010 test. The test in January didn’t involve a target, but a series of pre-planned maneuvers were executed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever