VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AP) – A weapon designed to blast nuclear missiles out of the sky failed to hit its target over the Pacific Ocean during a test Friday, military officials said.
A ground-based interceptor missile was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base and was supposed to hit its target _ a missile launched 4,000 miles away from the Kwajalein Atoll, according to the Missile Defense Agency.
But the interceptor did not hit its target. Officials will try to determine the cause of any anomalies that may have prevented a successful intercept.
The interceptor is one of about 30 deployed in Alaska and at Vandenberg under a missile defense program begun in 2004. In March, the Pentagon announced it will spend $1 billion to place another 14 interceptors in Alaska. The military said it’s responding to North Korean progress on nuclear weapons.
The weapon is a sensor-filled package that uses kinetic energy from a direct hit to destroy the incoming target.
It was the second test at Vandenberg this year for the missile defense program and the first for the system since flight testing was halted after a failed intercept in December 2010 test. The test in January didn’t involve a target, but a series of pre-planned maneuvers were executed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food