As the push to legalize recreation marijuana continues to grow, so does the number of medical marijuana dispensaries.
According to the Phoneix Business Journal, the Arizona Department of Health Services is expected to award somewhere around 30 new licenses for medical marijuana dispensaries.
Currently, there are 99 licensed dispensaries in the state with 92 of them open and operating.
According to DHS, 97 percent of the state’s residents live within 25 miles of an operating dispensary with about 95,000 people in the state with medical marijuana cards.
Arizona voters approved medical marijuana in 2010, and it is expected that voters will be asked in November to approve the recreational use.
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona stories from President’s Day weekend
- Mark Kelly calls for gun control legislation after Florida shooting
- Meghan McCain shares photo of Sen. John McCain at Arizona home
- Storm expected to slam Arizona high country with strong wind
- Arizona landmarks make list of must-see attractions in North America