CHICAGO (AP) – A federal appeals court is upholding a nearly 20-year prison sentence for a thieving former bookkeeper who stole almost $54 million from the northern Illinois community of Dixon.
The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago unanimously upheld Rita Crundwell’s 235-month sentence on Friday.
Crundwell pleaded guilty to wire fraud and was sentenced in February to about 20 years in prison.
Prosecutors say Crundwell stole the money over 22 years as Dixon’s bookkeeper, even while the city was having trouble paying its bills. She used the money to live lavishly and to build a nationally renowned horse-breeding operation.
Crundwell’s lawyer is Paul Gaziano, who declined to comment Friday.
He’d tried to argue a judge abused his discretion when giving Crundwell more time than recommended under federal guidelines.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck