CHICAGO (AP) – A federal appeals court is upholding a nearly 20-year prison sentence for a thieving former bookkeeper who stole almost $54 million from the northern Illinois community of Dixon.
The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago unanimously upheld Rita Crundwell’s 235-month sentence on Friday.
Crundwell pleaded guilty to wire fraud and was sentenced in February to about 20 years in prison.
Prosecutors say Crundwell stole the money over 22 years as Dixon’s bookkeeper, even while the city was having trouble paying its bills. She used the money to live lavishly and to build a nationally renowned horse-breeding operation.
Crundwell’s lawyer is Paul Gaziano, who declined to comment Friday.
He’d tried to argue a judge abused his discretion when giving Crundwell more time than recommended under federal guidelines.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them