PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) – A lawyer must repay $46 million to companies that lost money in a scheme that exploited dying people, a federal judge said Monday.
Joseph Caramadre and his ex-employee, Raymour Radhakrishnan, paid terminally ill people cash, passing it off as charity, then used their personal information to purchase bonds and annuities that would pay out when the person died.
U.S. District Judge William Smith said in his order that Caramadre must repay the companies that paid out on the bonds and annuities from 1995 to 2010. He ordered Radhakrishnan to be jointly responsible for $33 million of the total amount for his conduct between 2007 and 2010.
Both men pleaded guilty to wire fraud and conspiracy, although Caramadre later unsuccessfully tried to take back his plea, saying he lied to plead guilty.
Smith sentenced Caramadre in December to six years in prison, while Radhakrishnan was sentenced to a year and a day, followed by six months home confinement. They must each also serve 3,000 hours of community service to help elderly and terminally ill people.
At the time they were sentenced, the judge put off a decision on how much restitution they should pay, because the defense objected to the amount. In his Monday order, Smith overruled those objections.
Among the high-profile people who directly or indirectly invested with Caramadre were Terry McAuliffe, now governor of Virginia, and U.S. Rep. Jim Langevin of Rhode Island. There is no evidence they knew it was illegal, and they each later donated the money to charity.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.