PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) – A lawyer must repay $46 million to companies that lost money in a scheme that exploited dying people, a federal judge said Monday.
Joseph Caramadre and his ex-employee, Raymour Radhakrishnan, paid terminally ill people cash, passing it off as charity, then used their personal information to purchase bonds and annuities that would pay out when the person died.
U.S. District Judge William Smith said in his order that Caramadre must repay the companies that paid out on the bonds and annuities from 1995 to 2010. He ordered Radhakrishnan to be jointly responsible for $33 million of the total amount for his conduct between 2007 and 2010.
Both men pleaded guilty to wire fraud and conspiracy, although Caramadre later unsuccessfully tried to take back his plea, saying he lied to plead guilty.
Smith sentenced Caramadre in December to six years in prison, while Radhakrishnan was sentenced to a year and a day, followed by six months home confinement. They must each also serve 3,000 hours of community service to help elderly and terminally ill people.
At the time they were sentenced, the judge put off a decision on how much restitution they should pay, because the defense objected to the amount. In his Monday order, Smith overruled those objections.
Among the high-profile people who directly or indirectly invested with Caramadre were Terry McAuliffe, now governor of Virginia, and U.S. Rep. Jim Langevin of Rhode Island. There is no evidence they knew it was illegal, and they each later donated the money to charity.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets