(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. WHY THE DEFENSE CHIEF IS PROPOSING SHRINKING ARMY
Secretary Chuck Hagel says the nation can afford a military being smaller than it has been in 74 years so long as it retains a technological edge.
2. WHO IS NOW A WANTED MAN IN UKRAINE
The interim government issues a warrant for the arrest of fugitive President Viktor Yanukovych in the killing of protesters.
3. MEXICO ASSERTS AUTHORITY TO TRY DRUGLORD FIRST
Authorities set in motion a legal process that makes it unlikely drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman will face U.S. cases pending against him anytime soon.
4. WHERE HEALTH CARE NEEDS A REHAB
Doctors Without Borders says access to medical care in Afghanistan remains severely limited and poorly adapted to meet the needs of an ongoing conflict.
5. GETTING A CLEARER PICTURE OF NETFLIX-COMCAST DEAL
The partnership will create new avenues for streaming video to travel on its way to TVs and other devices, for which the cable company will be paid an undisclosed sum.
6. STUDY REVEALS POTENT WEAPON AGAINST WOMEN’S CANCERS
For females who carry a notorious cancer gene, surgery to remove healthy ovaries is one of the most protective steps they can take _ and sometimes the earlier they have the operation the better.
7. UGANDA’S ANTI-GAY LAW GOES INTO EFFECT
President Yoweri Museveni says the law is needed because the West is promoting homosexuality in Africa.
8. CHRISTIAN MILITIAMEN, MUSLIMS IN STANDOFF
Cameroonian peacekeepers stand between nearly 800 Muslims hiding on the grounds of a Catholic church and the armed gangs who want them dead in the Central African Republic.
9. WHEN BILL CLINTON IS A WELCOME STAND-IN FOR OBAMA
Democrats who don’t want to be seen with the current president find the former president a more palatable booster for their election campaigns.
10. HAROLD RAMIS, CREATOR OF COMEDY CLASSICS, DIES AT 69
The writer-director-actor who created an unparalleled and hugely influential body of laughs has died, rattling the modern comedy world he helped build.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns