(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. WHY THE DEFENSE CHIEF IS PROPOSING SHRINKING ARMY
Secretary Chuck Hagel says the nation can afford a military being smaller than it has been in 74 years so long as it retains a technological edge.
2. WHO IS NOW A WANTED MAN IN UKRAINE
The interim government issues a warrant for the arrest of fugitive President Viktor Yanukovych in the killing of protesters.
3. MEXICO ASSERTS AUTHORITY TO TRY DRUGLORD FIRST
Authorities set in motion a legal process that makes it unlikely drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman will face U.S. cases pending against him anytime soon.
4. WHERE HEALTH CARE NEEDS A REHAB
Doctors Without Borders says access to medical care in Afghanistan remains severely limited and poorly adapted to meet the needs of an ongoing conflict.
5. GETTING A CLEARER PICTURE OF NETFLIX-COMCAST DEAL
The partnership will create new avenues for streaming video to travel on its way to TVs and other devices, for which the cable company will be paid an undisclosed sum.
6. STUDY REVEALS POTENT WEAPON AGAINST WOMEN’S CANCERS
For females who carry a notorious cancer gene, surgery to remove healthy ovaries is one of the most protective steps they can take _ and sometimes the earlier they have the operation the better.
7. UGANDA’S ANTI-GAY LAW GOES INTO EFFECT
President Yoweri Museveni says the law is needed because the West is promoting homosexuality in Africa.
8. CHRISTIAN MILITIAMEN, MUSLIMS IN STANDOFF
Cameroonian peacekeepers stand between nearly 800 Muslims hiding on the grounds of a Catholic church and the armed gangs who want them dead in the Central African Republic.
9. WHEN BILL CLINTON IS A WELCOME STAND-IN FOR OBAMA
Democrats who don’t want to be seen with the current president find the former president a more palatable booster for their election campaigns.
10. HAROLD RAMIS, CREATOR OF COMEDY CLASSICS, DIES AT 69
The writer-director-actor who created an unparalleled and hugely influential body of laughs has died, rattling the modern comedy world he helped build.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon