(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. `WE ARE ON THE BRINK OF DISASTER’
Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk puts Ukraine’s military on alert and appeals for international help after Russia tightens its grip on the Crimean peninsula.
2. HOW WEST MIGHT SEEK TO COUNTER RUSSIA
U.S. and European leaders say Moscow could face economic penalties and diplomatic isolation if it doesn’t move out of Ukraine.
3. AND THE OSCAR GOES TO … `12 YEARS A SLAVE’
The historical drama has been hailed as a landmark corrective to the movie industry’s long omission of slavery stories and years of whiter tales like “Gone With the Wind.”
4. CLASSIC DARK BLUES AND BLACKS ON RED CARPET
Lupita Nyong’o, Hollywood’s “it” fashion darling, showed up for the Oscars in a goddess look of ice-blue silk.
5. HERE ARE THE SNOWS OF YESTERYEAR
A storm was expected to dump several inches of snow on the East Coast before rush hour on Monday.
6. MURDER TRIAL FOR `BLADE RUNNER’ TO BEGIN
Oscar Pistorius says he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder when he shot her through his bathroom door; prosecutors say he killed her in a rage.
7. WHO’S BEING BLAMED FOR CHINA KNIFE ATTACK
Authorities said separatists from the country’s far west led the rampage that killed 29 people and wounded 143 in Kunming.
8. CONFLICTING VIEWS ON CAPTURED US SOLDIER
Some believe Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl deserted his unit in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.
9. AN ULTRA-CONNECTED WORLD OFFERS PROMISE AND PERIL
The Mobile World Congress wireless show in Barcelona offers a future where everything is digitized _ with all the privacy and security concerns that such a world entails.
10. IDITAROD SLED DOG RACE KICKS OFF
Standing between the mushers and the finish line are about 1,000 miles of unforgiving Alaska terrain.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments