(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. `WE ARE ON THE BRINK OF DISASTER’
Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk puts Ukraine’s military on alert and appeals for international help after Russia tightens its grip on the Crimean peninsula.
2. HOW WEST MIGHT SEEK TO COUNTER RUSSIA
U.S. and European leaders say Moscow could face economic penalties and diplomatic isolation if it doesn’t move out of Ukraine.
3. AND THE OSCAR GOES TO … `12 YEARS A SLAVE’
The historical drama has been hailed as a landmark corrective to the movie industry’s long omission of slavery stories and years of whiter tales like “Gone With the Wind.”
4. CLASSIC DARK BLUES AND BLACKS ON RED CARPET
Lupita Nyong’o, Hollywood’s “it” fashion darling, showed up for the Oscars in a goddess look of ice-blue silk.
5. HERE ARE THE SNOWS OF YESTERYEAR
A storm was expected to dump several inches of snow on the East Coast before rush hour on Monday.
6. MURDER TRIAL FOR `BLADE RUNNER’ TO BEGIN
Oscar Pistorius says he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder when he shot her through his bathroom door; prosecutors say he killed her in a rage.
7. WHO’S BEING BLAMED FOR CHINA KNIFE ATTACK
Authorities said separatists from the country’s far west led the rampage that killed 29 people and wounded 143 in Kunming.
8. CONFLICTING VIEWS ON CAPTURED US SOLDIER
Some believe Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl deserted his unit in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.
9. AN ULTRA-CONNECTED WORLD OFFERS PROMISE AND PERIL
The Mobile World Congress wireless show in Barcelona offers a future where everything is digitized _ with all the privacy and security concerns that such a world entails.
10. IDITAROD SLED DOG RACE KICKS OFF
Standing between the mushers and the finish line are about 1,000 miles of unforgiving Alaska terrain.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night