(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. FUGITIVE UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT SAID TO BE IN RUSSIA
Yanukovych released a statement asking Moscow for protection but the Russians are not warmly embracing him.
2. VETO OF ARIZONA RELIGIOUS FREEDOM BILL SHOWS REPUBLICAN SPLIT
Gov. Jan Brewer’s rejection of the measure reflects a division within the GOP between social conservatives and the pro-business wing.
3. HOW A RADIATION LEAK IN NEW MEXICO PLANT REMAINS A MYSTERY
Officials can’t tell what caused the accident that exposed 13 workers to radioactive particles in a nuclear waste dump.
4. SENATE DERAILS BILL TO BOOST VETERAN BENEFITS
Although both parties favor helping the nation’s 22 million veterans, the legislation was a victim of election-year disputes over spending.
5. U.S. MARONITE CHURCH ORDAINS MARRIED PRIEST
Pope Francis gave permission for the ceremony at St. Raymond’s Cathedral near downtown St. Louis.
6. OBAMA KICKS OFF `MY BROTHER’S’ KEEPER’ INITIATIVE
The president calls for vigorous efforts to reverse underachievement among young black and Hispanic males.
7. TEEN SURVIVES RARE CANCER, THEN HELPS FIGHT IT
After she urged scientists to study it, they found a gene flaw that may play a role in her form of liver cancer.
8. EVACUATIONS ORDERED AHEAD OF CALIFORNIA STORMS
The Los Angeles suburbs of Glendora and Azusa ordered residents to leave 1,000 homes, fearing mudslides and flooding.
9. WHAT ISN’T PART OF MORMON BELIEFS ABOUT THE AFTERLIFE
The Mormon Church says adherents are not taught that they’ll get their own planet in the afterlife, contrary to depiction in the Broadway show, “The Book of Mormon.”
10. WHERE YOU CAN’T SEE EGYPT’S OSCAR NOMINATED DOCUMENTARY “THE SQUARE”
The film about the country’s protests and turbulence over the past three years can’t be screened in Egyptian theaters for political reasons, its producers say.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food