(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. FUGITIVE UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT SAID TO BE IN RUSSIA
Yanukovych released a statement asking Moscow for protection but the Russians are not warmly embracing him.
2. VETO OF ARIZONA RELIGIOUS FREEDOM BILL SHOWS REPUBLICAN SPLIT
Gov. Jan Brewer’s rejection of the measure reflects a division within the GOP between social conservatives and the pro-business wing.
3. HOW A RADIATION LEAK IN NEW MEXICO PLANT REMAINS A MYSTERY
Officials can’t tell what caused the accident that exposed 13 workers to radioactive particles in a nuclear waste dump.
4. SENATE DERAILS BILL TO BOOST VETERAN BENEFITS
Although both parties favor helping the nation’s 22 million veterans, the legislation was a victim of election-year disputes over spending.
5. U.S. MARONITE CHURCH ORDAINS MARRIED PRIEST
Pope Francis gave permission for the ceremony at St. Raymond’s Cathedral near downtown St. Louis.
6. OBAMA KICKS OFF `MY BROTHER’S’ KEEPER’ INITIATIVE
The president calls for vigorous efforts to reverse underachievement among young black and Hispanic males.
7. TEEN SURVIVES RARE CANCER, THEN HELPS FIGHT IT
After she urged scientists to study it, they found a gene flaw that may play a role in her form of liver cancer.
8. EVACUATIONS ORDERED AHEAD OF CALIFORNIA STORMS
The Los Angeles suburbs of Glendora and Azusa ordered residents to leave 1,000 homes, fearing mudslides and flooding.
9. WHAT ISN’T PART OF MORMON BELIEFS ABOUT THE AFTERLIFE
The Mormon Church says adherents are not taught that they’ll get their own planet in the afterlife, contrary to depiction in the Broadway show, “The Book of Mormon.”
10. WHERE YOU CAN’T SEE EGYPT’S OSCAR NOMINATED DOCUMENTARY “THE SQUARE”
The film about the country’s protests and turbulence over the past three years can’t be screened in Egyptian theaters for political reasons, its producers say.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development