(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. FUGITIVE UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT SAID TO BE IN RUSSIA
Yanukovych released a statement asking Moscow for protection but the Russians are not warmly embracing him.
2. VETO OF ARIZONA RELIGIOUS FREEDOM BILL SHOWS REPUBLICAN SPLIT
Gov. Jan Brewer’s rejection of the measure reflects a division within the GOP between social conservatives and the pro-business wing.
3. HOW A RADIATION LEAK IN NEW MEXICO PLANT REMAINS A MYSTERY
Officials can’t tell what caused the accident that exposed 13 workers to radioactive particles in a nuclear waste dump.
4. SENATE DERAILS BILL TO BOOST VETERAN BENEFITS
Although both parties favor helping the nation’s 22 million veterans, the legislation was a victim of election-year disputes over spending.
5. U.S. MARONITE CHURCH ORDAINS MARRIED PRIEST
Pope Francis gave permission for the ceremony at St. Raymond’s Cathedral near downtown St. Louis.
6. OBAMA KICKS OFF `MY BROTHER’S’ KEEPER’ INITIATIVE
The president calls for vigorous efforts to reverse underachievement among young black and Hispanic males.
7. TEEN SURVIVES RARE CANCER, THEN HELPS FIGHT IT
After she urged scientists to study it, they found a gene flaw that may play a role in her form of liver cancer.
8. EVACUATIONS ORDERED AHEAD OF CALIFORNIA STORMS
The Los Angeles suburbs of Glendora and Azusa ordered residents to leave 1,000 homes, fearing mudslides and flooding.
9. WHAT ISN’T PART OF MORMON BELIEFS ABOUT THE AFTERLIFE
The Mormon Church says adherents are not taught that they’ll get their own planet in the afterlife, contrary to depiction in the Broadway show, “The Book of Mormon.”
10. WHERE YOU CAN’T SEE EGYPT’S OSCAR NOMINATED DOCUMENTARY “THE SQUARE”
The film about the country’s protests and turbulence over the past three years can’t be screened in Egyptian theaters for political reasons, its producers say.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night