(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. FUGITIVE UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT SAID TO BE IN RUSSIA
Yanukovych released a statement asking Moscow for protection but the Russians are not warmly embracing him.
2. VETO OF ARIZONA RELIGIOUS FREEDOM BILL SHOWS REPUBLICAN SPLIT
Gov. Jan Brewer’s rejection of the measure reflects a division within the GOP between social conservatives and the pro-business wing.
3. HOW A RADIATION LEAK IN NEW MEXICO PLANT REMAINS A MYSTERY
Officials can’t tell what caused the accident that exposed 13 workers to radioactive particles in a nuclear waste dump.
4. SENATE DERAILS BILL TO BOOST VETERAN BENEFITS
Although both parties favor helping the nation’s 22 million veterans, the legislation was a victim of election-year disputes over spending.
5. U.S. MARONITE CHURCH ORDAINS MARRIED PRIEST
Pope Francis gave permission for the ceremony at St. Raymond’s Cathedral near downtown St. Louis.
6. OBAMA KICKS OFF `MY BROTHER’S’ KEEPER’ INITIATIVE
The president calls for vigorous efforts to reverse underachievement among young black and Hispanic males.
7. TEEN SURVIVES RARE CANCER, THEN HELPS FIGHT IT
After she urged scientists to study it, they found a gene flaw that may play a role in her form of liver cancer.
8. EVACUATIONS ORDERED AHEAD OF CALIFORNIA STORMS
The Los Angeles suburbs of Glendora and Azusa ordered residents to leave 1,000 homes, fearing mudslides and flooding.
9. WHAT ISN’T PART OF MORMON BELIEFS ABOUT THE AFTERLIFE
The Mormon Church says adherents are not taught that they’ll get their own planet in the afterlife, contrary to depiction in the Broadway show, “The Book of Mormon.”
10. WHERE YOU CAN’T SEE EGYPT’S OSCAR NOMINATED DOCUMENTARY “THE SQUARE”
The film about the country’s protests and turbulence over the past three years can’t be screened in Egyptian theaters for political reasons, its producers say.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain