(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. KERRY ISSUES BLUNT WARNING TO RUSSIA ON UKRAINE
The U.S. tells Moscow that any military operation in its neighbor would be a “grave mistake.”
2. ARIZONA GOVERNOR VETOES RELIGIOUS FREEDOM BILL
Gov. Jan Brewer said the bill, which would have granted people the right to refuse service to gays, was divisive and could have resulted in unintended negative consequences.
3. HOW THE TEXAS GAY MARRIAGE BAN GOT STRUCK DOWN
Federal judge says the anti-gay law is “state-imposed inequality,” but will allow it to remain in force pending appeal.
4. GOP TAX PLAN WOULD WIPE OUT SOME POPULAR BREAKS
But in exchange, income tax rates would be cut and the standard deduction, which is used by most taxpayers, would be nearly doubled.
5. RIGHTS ACTIVISTS DECRY RISE IN KILLINGS OF PALESTINIAN WOMEN
Advocates blame the increase in those crimes on the leniency the law shows toward those committing them.
6. DRUG THAT CAN REVERSE AN OPIATE OVERDOSE STIRS DEBATE
Supporters say the opportunity to save lives outweighs fears by critics who say that the promise of a nearby antidote would encourage drug abuse.
7. WHAT’S BEEN BANNED IN BOSTON
Boston Marathon organizers say new security measures bar runners from carrying bags, wearing costumes, or carrying athletic or military equipment.
8. STUDY FINDS SURPRISING RISK FOR KIDS WITH OLDER DADS
The report found middle-aged men face greater odds for having children with psychiatric problems, but more proof is needed.
9. WHY OUR GALAXY IS LOOKING MORE CROWDED
NASA’s Kepler telescope confirms a bonanza of 715 newly discovered planets outside our solar system.
10. DELAWARE MUSEUM DISPLAYS `DOWNTON ABBEY’ DRESSES
The exhibit, which includes more than 40 costumes from the popular British drama, may become the Winterthur Museum’s most popular show ever.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains