(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. FEW WOMEN IN THE ARMY WANT COMBAT JOBS
Pentagon survey shows that soldiers of both genders are nervous about females entering combat jobs.
2. OBAMA ISSUES WARNING TO KARZAI
The president threatens to withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan if Kabul doesn’t sign a security pact with Washington.
3. HOW MEXICO IS DELAYING GUZMAN’S EXTRADITION TO THE U.S.
Judges ruled that the captured drug lord will face more than half a dozen charges before they even consider handing him over to Washington.
4. WHAT THE COLLAPSE OF AN EXCHANGE MEANS FOR BITCOIN
The mystery surrounding the virtual currency is heightened and its value plummets because of the closure of a Tokyo trading platform.
5. A GLIMMER OF HOPE IN CHILD OBESITY BATTLE
Researchers find that obesity among children ages 2 to 5 decreased _ to 8 percent, from 14 percent a decade ago, a 43 percent drop.
6. MILITANTS ATTACK SCHOOL IN NIGERIA KILLING DOZENS
Islamist gunmen set fire to a locked dormitory in the north of the country then shot and slit the throats of students who were trying to flee.
7. EXPERTS WORRIED ABOUT HEALTH CARE COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Documents show that more than two-thirds of state systems that were supposed to verify personal information were initially rated as “high risk” for security problems.
8. WHY SENATE RACES MAY WORSEN GOP DIVIDE
Strategists say several establishment Republicans are trying to clobber tea party candidates and the companies helping to fund them.
9. FDA WEIGHS RISKS OF 3-PERSON EMBRYO FERTILIZATION
Preliminary tests suggest the technique may allow mothers to give birth to healthy children, but experts say it could take decades to confirm its safety.
10. CALIFORNIA COUPLE FIND A `POT OF GOLD’
Husband and wife discover $10 million in rare, mint-condition gold coins dating from 1847 to 1894 buried in the shadow of an old tree in their backyard.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America