(AP) – Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. FEW WOMEN IN THE ARMY WANT COMBAT JOBS
Pentagon survey shows that soldiers of both genders are nervous about females entering combat jobs.
2. OBAMA ISSUES WARNING TO KARZAI
The president threatens to withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan if Kabul doesn’t sign a security pact with Washington.
3. HOW MEXICO IS DELAYING GUZMAN’S EXTRADITION TO THE U.S.
Judges ruled that the captured drug lord will face more than half a dozen charges before they even consider handing him over to Washington.
4. WHAT THE COLLAPSE OF AN EXCHANGE MEANS FOR BITCOIN
The mystery surrounding the virtual currency is heightened and its value plummets because of the closure of a Tokyo trading platform.
5. A GLIMMER OF HOPE IN CHILD OBESITY BATTLE
Researchers find that obesity among children ages 2 to 5 decreased _ to 8 percent, from 14 percent a decade ago, a 43 percent drop.
6. MILITANTS ATTACK SCHOOL IN NIGERIA KILLING DOZENS
Islamist gunmen set fire to a locked dormitory in the north of the country then shot and slit the throats of students who were trying to flee.
7. EXPERTS WORRIED ABOUT HEALTH CARE COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Documents show that more than two-thirds of state systems that were supposed to verify personal information were initially rated as “high risk” for security problems.
8. WHY SENATE RACES MAY WORSEN GOP DIVIDE
Strategists say several establishment Republicans are trying to clobber tea party candidates and the companies helping to fund them.
9. FDA WEIGHS RISKS OF 3-PERSON EMBRYO FERTILIZATION
Preliminary tests suggest the technique may allow mothers to give birth to healthy children, but experts say it could take decades to confirm its safety.
10. CALIFORNIA COUPLE FIND A `POT OF GOLD’
Husband and wife discover $10 million in rare, mint-condition gold coins dating from 1847 to 1894 buried in the shadow of an old tree in their backyard.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes