PASADENA, Calif. (AP) – A California man who made a 911 call that ended with Pasadena police fatally shooting a college student has pleaded guilty to making a false report.
Oscar Carrillo was sentenced to 90 days in jail after pleading guilty Monday to two misdemeanor false reporting charges.
Carrillo told a dispatcher last year that he was robbed at gunpoint by two young men. He mentioned a gun eight times during the 911 call.
Responding officers shot 19-year-old Kendrec McDade, who was unarmed.
Carrillo later acknowledged he lied about guns to get a faster police response.
Carrillo was arrested for investigation of involuntary manslaughter, but prosecutors declined to charge him with that.
Besides going to jail, Carrillo will also perform 90 days of community service and pay $3,000 to Pasadena police.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life