PASADENA, Calif. (AP) – A California man who made a 911 call that ended with Pasadena police fatally shooting a college student has pleaded guilty to making a false report.
Oscar Carrillo was sentenced to 90 days in jail after pleading guilty Monday to two misdemeanor false reporting charges.
Carrillo told a dispatcher last year that he was robbed at gunpoint by two young men. He mentioned a gun eight times during the 911 call.
Responding officers shot 19-year-old Kendrec McDade, who was unarmed.
Carrillo later acknowledged he lied about guns to get a faster police response.
Carrillo was arrested for investigation of involuntary manslaughter, but prosecutors declined to charge him with that.
Besides going to jail, Carrillo will also perform 90 days of community service and pay $3,000 to Pasadena police.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever