HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) – A central Pennsylvania church and its youth pastor have pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from a mock kidnapping of a youth group that was meant to be a lesson in religious persecution.
Glad Tidings Assembly of God Church in Lower Swatara Township and Andrew David Jordan, 28, of Elizabethtown, waived an appearance Thursday at a formal arraignment in Dauphin County Court on charges of false imprisonment and simple assault, WHTM-TV reported.
Prosecutors say the half-hour ordeal in March included interrogation and staged torture using power tools.
They said masked congregation members bound the teens, placed pillowcases over their heads and drove them in a van to the parsonage on the church grounds, where the men pretended to torture Jordan.
Prosecutors said some children knew of the staged event in advance, but others who weren’t members of the church didn’t know it was a simulation.
One of the visiting children, a 14-year-old girl, told authorities she received a cut to her lip and bruises to her legs and feared she would be raped during the exercise, according to court documents. Her mother filed a complaint with police, prompting the investigation.
Glad Tidings pastor John Lanza said in March that the church was “so saddened” that anyone had been traumatized during the event but added that other youth from the church sent emails of support. The church is about 10 miles outside Harrisburg.
Lanza said at the time that the goal of the exercise was to prepare the youth for what they might encounter as missionaries in foreign countries. He didn’t disclose the names of those involved but said the mock kidnappers included an off-duty police officer and a retired Army captain.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl