Share this story...
Latest News

Coroner says smoke killed Arkansas family of 5

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – The Pulaski County coroner says a family of five found dead in central Arkansas duplex all died accidentally from smoke and soot inhalation.

County Coroner Gerone Hobbs said Friday that it is not clear when the mother and her four children died. They were found Thursday around 7 a.m. at the Jacksonville apartment.

Phil Nix, the executive director of the Jacksonville Housing Authority says a maintenance worker discovered the bodies and that there was extensive smoke damage in the kitchen.

Authorities say a smoke alarm is being tested as part of the investigation. They say smoke detectors in the duplexes do not send signals directly to the fire department and that the detectors do not require regular battery replacement because they are hard-wired into the complex.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)