NEW YORK (AP) – The National September 11 Memorial & Museum is launching a seedling program based on the Survivor Tree, a pear tree pulled from the World Trade Center rubble after 9/11.
The museum says seedlings from the tree will be sent to what it calls “resilient communities” that embody “the spirit of the Survivor Tree.”
Three communities have been selected for the inaugural launch.
They are Boston, in honor of the marathon bombing in April that killed three people and injured more than 260; Prescott, Ariz., for the 19 firefighters who died battling a wildfire in June; and the Far Rockaways in New York City, which were devastated last year by Superstorm Sandy.
Representatives from each community will attend a ceremony Wednesday at Citi Field to announce the program.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food